Monday, November 23, 2009

Yes Ucan







How big of a win is this for the University of Connecticut. To see Connecticut head football coach Randy Edsall cry on national television made perfect sense. His football team just won their biggest game in school history, a 33-30 double overtime win over the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame, a school with so much history and tradition. It’s funny because I was offered a full athletic scholarship to play football at Uconn. That was ten years ago when coach Edsall had a vision of turning around a division 1-AA program. As coach Edsall sat on the coach at my house with my parents in January of 1999, I knew Connecticut moving up to a division 1-A program in two years wasn’t an easy transition. But I saw that VISION of a coach that was about to start his first head job. As I watched the Connecticut at Notre Dame football game I could see the vision become reality. I noticed myself, a diehard Fighting Irish football fan cheering for the Huskies football team the same way I would cheer the huskies basketball team. I realized the green and gold program was out and the blue and white is moving in. My friend Dan Orlovsky, a Uconn grad and current Houston Texan quarterback, used to tell me how the program was gaining national recognition. That was after Connecticut won their first bowl game over Toledo in 2005. First bowl game just four years ago and now Uconn just beat Notre Dame on national television. How big is this win you may ask again? Well I am currently on my way to my home in Connecticut for nine days. As I write this on the plane packed with Uconn fans and a few Notre Dame fans born in Connecticut, I couldn’t help myself but chant the UCONN cheer before take off. We are the close nit little state of Connecticut. This week this little state just made some big time history in a humongous country. Go Huskies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment